The Mathematics Technology Learning Center (MTLC) at The University of Alabama is a state-of-the-art program that assists students in the active learning of mathematics. This is accomplished through a computer lab/tutoring center open over 60 hours per week for one-on-one tutoring and using technology to allow students to work at their own pace, receive instant feedback as they learn mathematics by doing mathematics, learn from a variety of formats, and receive encouragement from their instructors regarding course progress.
The MTLC is a flagship helping to lead the way toward using technology to improve student success in higher education and receives visits from schools throughout the country to learn from what we are doing here at UA.
Whether you are a student at UA or a faculty member at another college or university, we hope that you find what you are looking for as we work together to make a difference in the mathematical education in this country.
At the MTLC, we offer our students the following accommodations:
- A state-of-the-art learning facility
- One-on-one student/instructor assistance
- 60+ hrs/week of math assistance available
- Course flexibility for students:
- Study hours are at student’s choice
- Student can complete course early
- In the MTLC, students are actively learning mathematics by watching and working math problems. They can get assistance as they attempt these problems.
- In the traditional setting, students attempt to work math problems on their own. If they need assistance, they must wait until they return to class or until they can meet with their instructor.
- Student effort is directly related to student success in the MTLC courses.
- Students putting forth a genuine effort and completing assigned work have an extremely high chance of successfully completing the course. Each semester we make improvements and each semester we see improvement in the student performances.
- Success rates for Introductory Mathematics courses are increasing due to the MTLC.